January 2020, New AKs in the USA purchase advice.
Much happier to say that since our last update that there has become a new hope for USA mfg AKs that are worthy of the legendary moniker of AK.
- Arsenal. Current models are slimmer than ever. Only a few milled models and SBRs available. Unconfirmed but rumored is no more imports.
- PSA. Palmetto State Armory! Starting with their GF3, PSA has been mfg to spec AKs, i.e the “holy trifecta” of hammer forged high quality steel for the front trunion, bolt, and bolt carrier. They wear like combloc metal, finally a USA mfg all American AK. They have a CHF barrel machine at FN to do barrels for their premium AKs. they have underfolders, traditional AKs, Magpul furniture Aks, and even side folders. 2020 is the year PSA sets the bar I do believe. Best value by far and good customer service. Here
- WASR. (Romanian Century Import) Ahh yes. The good ole WASR, rough machine finish, perhaps some mistakes here and there on the build but generally ok. Remember to add the price of a decent set of furniture for it, as the stock furniture is lacking. Sadly price has gone considerably up and they are harder to find. Search result here.
- Atlantic Firearms. Atlantic is a well known web store that specializes in AKs. They sell several brands, some not recommended. Their internal builds are generally decent quality and they stand behind what they sell. Here
- Buy a kit (demilled military AK or variant) pick a barrel and receiver, and have an AK smith build you one. This can be relatively economical, and with the Cold Hammer forged USA barrels both chrome lined and nitrided available at Ak-Builder, you can get a military level AK built. See our links page for a list of builders, and places to buy kits from, along with parts.
- More added soon. Stay tuned!